Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Baby, dog, couponing, and upcoming deployment...

Okay, I officially suck as a blog writer since it has been over 3 months since my last post.  My excuse...I was finishing up my Associates of Arts emphasis in psychology degree.  I completed my courses July 10 and have been adjusting to being a full-time mom without the distraction of being a full-time student as well, I have to say I love it!  So much has happened in the last few months, and while I keep my facebook updated (probably over-updated) I want to stay updated here as well, as I hope my blog will be more lasting than my facebook page.

Shortly after Ernest returned from NTC (pre-deployment training on Ft Irwin, California), we headed to San Antonio to visit our good friends the Ramirez's.  While in San Antonio we went to a 3d ultrasound place to learn the gender of our baby!  I was 17 weeks at the time and we just couldn't wait any longer to find out!

It's a GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My little sea monkey

17.5 weeks

Two days after learning we are going to add a baby girl to our little family I felt her for the first time.  Ernest was on the couch watching television, while Carolynn and  I were doing homework and I felt our little girl start kicking!  What an exciting moment it was ;) 

Two weeks later, back in El Paso, we had our next doctors appointment followed by the "official" ultrasound.  Thankfully the baby was still a girl and we had a name ready for the ultrasound pictures! Aria Marie Rodriguez.
Sucking on her thumb (every ultra sound she had been a thumb sucker)
Peace!
An awesome 2d pic of her face :)
19 weeks
Thankfully the awful morning sickness that claimed me the entire nine months of Troah's pregnancy has lessened for this pregnancy!  Wow, I can actually function and feel good while I'm pregnant, it's an amazing concept :)  The last doctors appointment went well, although the placenta is still at the bottom of my uterus, so I should be getting another ultrasound next week or the week after to see if it has decided to move yet.  Here is my growing belly up to now:
20 weeks
22 weeks

24 weeks

At 24 weeks pregnant Aria is jumping around like crazy (which I love feeling), and I'm feeling pretty good for the most part!  I've had a little nausea creeping back into my life, though I attribute that to being more physically active since finishing school (more time for cleaning, playing with Troah/dogs, and working out), so I suppose I just need to monitor myself better and take it easy.  

Another new addition to our family is a German Shepherd named Oso.  A friend of ours was unable to keep him, so we took him in.  Though he has been somewhat difficult with adjusting to a new family, we have started crate training him and switched him to a higher quality food.  He seems to be doing better (though he still sneaks into the pantry and eats our bread if we don't keep a close eye on him), and I'm sure he will fully adjust in no time at all :)  Here are some pictures of him with Cloud and Troah.



Troah and Oso LOVE to play together, Oso is getting much better at giving the rope up when he fetches it rather than trying to play tug-o-war, Troah is always excited for our outdoor play time with his new buddy :)


Aside from new baby and new puppy, since finishing school my life has revolved around deep cleaning my house a couple times a week (nesting instinct set in early) and learning how to coupon!  My wonderful mother mailed me a book called "Greatest Secrets of the Coupon Mom."  I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn to save money on groceries!  She focuses first on learning to shop by sales (and stock up when your "high impact items" are on sale) then adding coupons into the strategy.  I admit I have not been great at coupons yet, but the sales have already saved us about $50 each shopping trip.  I do have a great coupon collection started though, and my goal is to begin planning my shopping trips by sales and coupons after August 1.  

Ernest is scheduled to deploy July 31 (could be the day before or the day after, though) to Iraq.  Last week he participated in a combatives class (pretty much his job was to beat up the soldiers in lower levels than him, he was pretty excited ;)), and injured his ankle.  After a couple days the swelling was only getting worse and the bruising was quite impressive.  


Taking advantage in Costco, if only we got temporary handicapped parking passes...

We decided it would probably be best for him to go to the ER to get it x-rayed and make sure it wasn't broken.  Luckily he was only at the ER for a few hours with no broken foot, but they gave him crutches and a nice boot to keep it safe.  He spoke to the military ortho doctor a couple days ago and found the ligaments are pulled away from the bone (ouch!) but he is still deployable.  He will work in the aid station though, rather than as a line medic.  Something I am very grateful for!  

So that is what has been happening in my life lately!  Ernest leaves this weekend, and I am just hoping I can help Troah feel secure without his dad.  He has been acting out recently (I'm positive as a result of Ernest leaving soon), and I am constantly trying to figure out how best to deal with his melt downs (sometimes it means sticking him in his room then going to my room for my own melt down).  Troah is really a sweet boy though, so I know everything will be alright :)  He has gymnastics on Saturdays and I am going to sign him up for swim lessons twice a week during the month of August, so we will survive I am sure!  




1 comment:

  1. I love this gal named Katie who like rocks everything perfectly in her life, even getting a prego belly! lol Seriously I think I am going to lie to myself and when I mentally picture myself pregnant I am going to picture Katie! That way I will be able to say I was super hot while prego too! lol I Love you KATIE!!!

    ReplyDelete